Receiving Tomb Door Restoration

The Receiving Tomb (1864) door was restored during the summer of 2009. The bottom hinge was replaced and the door was refurbished and painted. When the tomb was opened, it was found to contain pieces broken off from various monuments as well as parts of ornamental fences.

Receiving tombs were built during the nineteenth century to hold bodies until spring because it was too difficult to dig in frozen ground. These tombs became obsolete when mechanized digging by backhoe came into use.

July 2007
November 2009
Minxie Fannin displays part of a monument.
Jim Fannin looks inside.
Fannin photos by Frances Shedd Fisher.